Have you noticed that your teeth look longer or your gums look smaller? Your gums may be pulling back away from your teeth. This is known as receding gums and can be caused by a number of reasons; including old age, chronic illness, poor oral hygiene, sports or other traumatic events, smoking, hard or forceful brushing, crooked teeth, and the most serious cases, gum (periodontal) disease. If left untreated by not visiting a dentist in Manhattan, NY receding gums caused by gum disease can lead to permanent bone or gum loss and systemic health issues.
Receding Gums and Treatment Options
Some symptoms of receding gums include: bad breath, swollen or irritated gums, or loose teeth. Treatment options for receding gums may include:
- Gum grafting: A dentist in Manhattan, NY will take gum tissue from one area and use it to cover any exposed teeth caused by gum recession
- Pinhole Surgical Technique: This minimally invasive procedure is ideal for mild to moderate gum recession where a very small hole is place in the affected area and gums are repositioned back over the tooth.
Gum Recession Prevention
The best way to prevent your gums from receding is to be sure to remember these few tips:
- Brush teeth twice daily in a gentle manner
- Floss between teeth and use a gum and tooth friendly and cleansing toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Attend dental appointments regularly
A dentist in Manhattan, NY can help you choose the best option for you using a customized treatment plan. Dealing with the discomfort and looks of receding gums does not have to continue to be an issue.
Ready to learn more?
Why not make a call today to our dentist, Dr. Alexander Volchonok, in our Manhattan, NY office to learn more about your options for receding gums and make it a thing of the past and schedule an appointment!
- Can receding gums grow back? What to know, Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326022
- What are treatments for receding gums? Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/receding-gums-treatment